The 18M is a compact and rugged 18-cue firing module that functions universally with the 18R and 18R2 hand-held remotes and is perfect for both indoor and harsh outdoor environments. Each cue boasts 18V at 6A firing up to 10 series-wired e-matches, or 4 parallel-wired e-matches or Talon brand igniter clips per cue.
Each firing module can be set to one of 100 channels by simply pressing the + and – buttons on the module. Then, using the 18R or 18R2 hand-held remote channel controls, you can fire any modules on the same channel. You can fire unlimited modules at the exact same time by setting them to the same channel.
The 18M is enclosed in 2.5mm thick high-strength ABS plastic shielded by a highly thermal and impact resistant black armored plating. The clear design blocks all entry of air, moisture and dust into the electronic housing by eliminating the need for cut-outs and micro-gaps in the enclosure. Polyurethane-coated fire-retardant silicon keypads have custom walls that push up against the top-enclosure to protect against moisture and dust. All switches and antenna connectors are also sealed using Loctite® 401 waterproof adhesive.
Although not required, COBRA also offers a few protective accessories including the Armored Case and Protective Mounting Boot.
The 18M has three different power options including 9V replaceable batteries, an internal 14.8V re-chargeable LiPo battery pack, and the option for external 12-24V power input.
The 18M uses three 9v (PP3) batteries. One of the 9v batteries is used to power the system operations only. The other two 9v batteries are used to fire cues only. By separating the power sources, you can ensure that full power is always available to fire cues even if the system has been left on for a long time.
The 18M also has a power conserving sleep mode. When powering off the 18R or 18R2 remote, the 18M will automatically fall asleep and conserve power for up to 24 hours. This allows you to place and arm your modules into position hours before the show begins. Then, when turning on your 18R or 18R2 remote, the module wakes up and is ready to fire.
On average, customers replace the same single 9v operational battery every 5 shows. It is not uncommon for customers to use the same operational battery for 10-15+ shows. It is not required to replace the batteries for every show. In fact, the two 9v firing batteries can commonly last 20-30+ shows.
Simply press CH+ or CH- on the 18M to set any module to a channel between 00 and 99. Then, by changing the channel on the 18R or 18R2 hand-held remote, you can fire any module set to the same channel.
You can also set multiple modules on the same channel to have them fire at the exact same time. This is common for multi-position fronts, firing around a stadium, rooftop shoots, and other simultaneous effects separated by large distances.
Re-chargeable LiPo and External Power
Not interested in the 9V replaceable batteries? Upgrade your 18M to support an internal re-chargeable LiPo battery pack with optional 12-24V DC input.
For more information, please also reference our our 18M LiPo Re-charge and Ext. Power User Guide.
- 60% More Battery Life – Fits perfectly in the existing battery compartment, the battery pack lasts 60% longer than the existing 9V batteries. This is accomplished with 900mAh vs. the traditional 550mAh of a 9V battery.
- Easy to Charge – A charge port and charge indicator exists on the top of the module for simple charging. If you own armored cases, a new face plate supports charging while the 18M is still in the armored case. Use our single charger or charge up to 5 modules at once with our 5-module charger option,
- External 12-24V DC Input – Optional rugged external binding posts support external 12 and 24V DC input. For permanent installations, use our 110/220V A/C to 24V D/C converter. Use the internal LiPo battery pack together with the A/C input to act as a real-time power backup.
- Increased Amperage – The existing replaceable 9V batteries produce a peark current of 3 Amps. Using the LiPo battery pack, this increases to 6 Amps. Using the external power input, we can produce up to 9 Amps of peak current. This will support firing up to 8 and 12 e-match / Talons respectively in addition to supporting the firing of high current devices such as confetti cannons, flame projectors, and cryo jets.
- Cold Weather Performance – Fire extreme cold shows with confidence with improved cold weather performance down to -40F / -40C.
- Dual Protection Circuits for LiPo Safety – COBRA incorporates dual overcharge, undercharge and over voltage protection circuits. The first protection circuit is built into the 18M adapter board installed with the upgrade. The second protection circuit is built into the battery itself. This means if one of the protection circuits fails, the other acts as a backup. While we don’t expect any failures, feel confident that we have designed both the battery and charge circuitry with the highest level of safety and protection in mind.